Love Grows Dating Tip - The 'butterflies in the tummy' feeling is super sweet but NOT enough to ensure a healthy relationship. I encourage you to turn off the television, disconnect from your gadgets and begin observing and having real #conversations with the person you are dating.
- What are the norms, communication style, power dynamics, etc of their family?
- How do the members of their family use their voice (kind, respectful, combative, accusatory, disrespectful, rude, loving, etc)?
- Does your S/O have a voice in their family and if so, how do they use it?
- What are the boundaries and are you comfortable with them?
If they have not established healthy boundaries between self and their family, this individual is not capable of:
- supporting the boundaries you are trying to establish with their family nor are they able
- to provide a unified front as it pertains to their family.
This results in the outside person (you) having to 'defend' yourself with their family, causing resentment, anger, and tension in your romantic space.
Normal does not equate healthy. Begin having real conversations today. - Misha N. Granado, MPH, MS